Monday, August 5, 2013

Hand Cramp


Moving to another country involves a ton of paperwork. 

-We filled out forms to send our belongings via container ship.   
-We filled out forms to satisfy the pet import requirements.    
-We finalized our lease on the day we arrived in Norway.  
-Last Monday, I registered my documents with the Oslo police and the tax office.  
-On Tuesday, we filled out forms to open a bank account. 
-On Wednesday, we began the process of being paired with doctors. 
-The Internet company finally allowed us to fill out paperwork for internet service (this should be up and running in a few days).
-And on Friday, we completed paperwork to buy a car and insurance!  (More on the new car later).  

I still need to research cell phones and coverage plans, job applications, and graduate program applications.   And I'm not sure what I might be forgetting.

Yes, I’m tired of signing my name.  Which reminds me: since our credit cards have chips (which we specially requested) but no pins (a huge shock to all Europeans that we meet), we seem to be the only people in Norway that still have to sign our credit card receipts.

Despite our busy schedule, it is a pleasure to see the Norwegian efficiency at work.  Perhaps Switzerland is better known for this, but Norway easily could challenge the Swiss to a “Train Running on Time” duel.  In less than a month, every last administrative detail should be finalized, and we will essentially be considered Norwegians.  Skål!

1 comment:

  1. Graduate program applications? I sense excitement ahead! Thanks for bringing us along for the ride :) And Cheers to you too!

    ReplyDelete